Thanksgiving is a wonderful family time. It's great when children can be part of the preparations, and even better if their crafts can be part of the Thanksgiving table decorations.
Pine Cone Turkey
Turkeys for Thanksgiving - Let the kids make these turkeys to decorate for Thanksgiving, or use them to hold place cards on your holiday table.
- one pinecone
- colored paper or paper and markers/crayons
- Use colored paper, picture pages from magazines, or have the kids color patterns on white paper.
- cut out feathers from the colored paper. Make slits along the side just like feathers.
- cut out the head in the shape of a turkey, or find a picture in a magazine or flyer and glue the picture to some cardboard.
- glue the head on the small end of the pinecone.
- glue the tail feathers into the spaces on the large end of the pinecone.
This activity was sent in by Megan and her mommy, Janice Byer of Docu-Type Administrative Services.
Idea from one of our visitors
I make turkeys out of pine cones too. I put colored feathers inside the cone part and pipe cleaner for legs. Bend pipe cleaner around the body pine cone and bend up for legs. Wiggly eyes are glued on by a glue gun. Glue the feathers in place too.
Thanks to Joan for this idea.
Hand Print Turkey Tails
- Trace a child's hand print onto cardboard and cut out as the pattern.
- Trace the pattern on to a variety of different colors of construction paper.
- Cut out the hand prints and arrange in a fan shape to make a hand print tail for the Pine Cone Turkey.
Note for Parents:
Every parent must use their own judgment in choosing which activities are safe for their own children. While Creative Kids at Home makes every effort to provide activity ideas that are safe and fun for children it is your responsibility to choose the activities that are safe in your own home.