The first issue of the summer newsletter was sent out today on a beach theme.
Who doesn't love a day at the beach? These ideas will help you have fun at the beach, or create a beach day in your own backyard. Don't forget to get out the beach towels and make some lemonade. The kids will feel like they are at the beach even if the ocean or lake is miles away.
- Build a sand castle using tips and ideas to make it easy.
- Make your own sand mask.
- Make a batch of sand dough for modeling or to make stepping stones.
- Mix sand with leftover sidewalk chalk to create something new.
- Paint seashells with acrylic paint.
- Make a seashell necklace. Tread a needle with a piece of thread a bit longer than you want to necklace. Use the needle to poke a hole in the shell. String the shells and then tie it on to make your necklace.
- Make footprints in sand that will last forever.
- You can take these ice cream cones to the beach, and they won't even melt.
- Scavenger Hunt
- Sand Castle Building Contest
- Beach Soccer - find an empty spot on the beach and put out two beach towels instead of nets. A goal is scored when the ball goes over the towel.
- A day at the beach! Don't forget the inflatable balls, pails and buckets.
- If you don't live near a beach, create your own 'beach' in your backyard or neighborhood park. All you need is a water (anything from child's wadding pool to a swimming pool) and a container or tarp with some sand. Don't forget the beach blankets, picnic and sand toys.
There's a whole new website for Science Kids at Home. For the start of summer, you can find out about the science of sunlight and exactly what is ultraviolet light. There's a sunlight experiment to see the ultraviolet light and an idea for a close-up look at beach sand.
On a rainy day, you can create the beach inside. Create an indoor sandbox and use your bathtub for the water. Let the kids wear their bathing suits into the tub and be sure to have lots of pails, boats, and beach toys.
Use the comments section of the blog to tell us about your beach adventures with the kids. We'd like to share your creative ideas with other families.